About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Wednesday 31 January 2007

Back at the blackboard

Back to school !!! Actually I love going back! I love the clean classroom, new books, stationary.Best of all -the new little faces!! What a wonderful feeling! After 16 years I still haven't lost that feeling-guess if I do,I'd better quit! There of course, are days when I feel tired, frustrated etc, but these are few and far between.

I love reading about other schools all over the world and love the aol journals by teachers in America.I find it fascinating that kids are kids no matter where in the world they are!

My class this year seems very immature compared to last years'. Listening seems to be the number one problem in children at our school.We have a "once only" instruction policy in our school(actually we do repeat it a second time but no more than that!) We just find that we are spending so much wasted time repeating instructions!! While I do have 2 ADD children,the rest seem almost as bad!

I have even had a talk with the parents of my students about getting their kids to respond the first time they spoke-all the parents agreed that they often tell their children to do something, only to be ignored, until they have repeated themselves sooo many times until they "explode". Now I understand the problem! Well, I have been very consistent and it has started paying off in class!

We have so many children who are neglected by their parents.I find it very frustrating as we do not get much help from social services!!! I think their case loads are just too great!So much child abuse takes place that children left late after school etc just takes a back seat and is not really seen as neglect! We had a 3 year old that was dropped off at our school this year-no parents, he could hardly speak english, and no contact no. We had to call the polic to take him to his granny(whose house he luckily, could find!)The sad thing is, is that he wasn't even upset about getting left! Used to it maybe????

Anyway,I get very worked up about child neglect/abuse so I'll stop now!

Take care and God Bless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the idea of say it once amybe twice it really makes the kids accountable:) have a good thursday

Deb

Anonymous said...

I have the very same problem, Shauneen. It gets old after awhile. Without revealing too much personal information, I'd just like to say that apples don't fall very far from the trees. You know? I think, generally, that many kids today are not being raised by any firm set of rules. I think the younger generation of parents are lax in consistency with their kids. I think they are weak when they have to set down the law in their homes, and that they don't follow up with the consequences like they threaten the kids with. Also, I've heard parents confess that they give in to their kids, and they don't always apply the consequences because it's easier to let them go. They think it's no big deal.... but they are wrong. It is a big deal... the kids will get older, and their breaking the established house rules becomes breaking the school rules, or the curfew rules, or the social rules... and the next thing they know they have a young adult child who is getting speeding tickets left and right...  who loses his license, but needs a job and the parent has to drive him to work. They have a teen or young adult who can't keep a job because she doesn't like to work, or he drops out of college because it's too hard. I get tired of hearing it, I really do. The ones I try to help are the ones who walk through my classroom and sit in my desks and who look up at me when I am talking. I will do just about anything to help them see what they need to do for themselves. Finally, abuse and neglect.... yes, there's another response to that but not here and not now! bea

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, my friend!  The best part of the year is the first couple of days. That's how I'm feeling at the moment.  Even though it is halfway through the school year, I am just starting teaching my own class again after how long? Unfortunately, today (which was supposed to be my first day), was a snow day and schools were closed!  Oh well, more is nog 'n dag! Luv ya - glad to see you writing again.  I've missed it. ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

Love to you Shauneen!
I'm so happy becasue youare happy! HAppy Weekend!
love,nat