About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Thursday 1 February 2007

Can you hear me?

My class had swimming today and I decided to leave the whistle behind.I told them that I would be raising my hand once (the equivalent of speaking once)as per yesterdays entry.

The changing into their costumes part ran smoothly enough.... But- once we had got into the pool area, two of my boys proceeded to jump into the pool after I had said(ONCE) that they were to stand on the side and wait.Time outs on their towels were their "reward. The rest of the lesson went perfectly.The time out duo (after 5 min on their towels) enjoyed it as much and earned the praise they got for behaving the rest of the lesson.

I happily (maybe a little smugly) lead them back to the change rooms,explaining(YES,ONCE ONLY) that I would be giving points when we got back to class if everyone behaved.They LOVE getting points on their team race chart(My class sit at stations of 6 pupils each)so I was expecting them to be good..... I really did!!!!:-)

Alas,it was not meant to be! One of my boys came running out of the changerooms (situated behind the hall , but the doors lead into the back of the hall) ran across the hall stage and just fell off the stage!!!Tears!!!Of course I comforted him,but gently reminded him that he should not have been running! Then another two boys came CHARGING out hitting eachother with their wet costumes! I took a deep breath and held up my hand- they froze (I dislike shouting-but do resort to it occasionally!)I think the look on my face said enough(and they each got a demerit).Sometimes with this age group, a look is enough.

All in all, it was a gooood day! My grade 3's have been with me for three weeks and slowly the class routine is taking shape.Its' hard work but consistency pays off.
I have a little boy who works very very slowly (ADD) and today he finished ALL his work  HOORAY!!!!! I have been giving him stars for the slightest bit of progress and this has definately helped.At this age they still respond to stars.I never put up a list of my childrens' names to show progress/behaviour etc as I feel that the weak children are just not motivated by seeing their names way behind the stronger kids. I like to have a group behaviour (my team race) and an individual motivation(for good work/behaviour etc I have crowns they keep at their desks(keep or lose if naughty)At the end of the day they get a star on their uniform to show parents if they've kept the crown for the day.This works really well.

I would love to hear from other teachers about how you motivate good behaviour.I was taught at college to "catch them being good" in other words-if someone is being a little chatty or daydreaming etc I would focus on another childs good behaviour and reward them, miss chatty pants is sure to also want a star and buttons up!IT WORKS!

While I have much success in my classroom with motivating 31 pupils, my three boys at home are another story :-) I wish someone had taught me about sibling rivalry at college!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former teacher, I would say that you're doing splendidly well!  As you know, there is no one formula, every group of children not ony has its own group dynamics not to mention the individual personalities of each child.  It sounds as if you love being a teacher and I think that is the greatest gift that you can give your students.--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/

Anonymous said...

what great motivators:) enjoy your friday:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Shauneen!!! Sorry it's been awhile since I came by. I've been browsing through your journal this evening (because I actually have time to do that, can you imagine?) and I am warmed by your teacher stories and thoughts. I know you've been to my journal many many times and left comments. Thank you so much for taking that time to do so. Now, regarding your question what other teachers do to motivate good behavior... that's a toughy because I want them to be internally motivated. Before I started my first year, I envisioned all the wonderful stories and metaphors I would make for my students, and they would listen wide-eyed and wonderous, and they would internalize the stories for themselves. In this fantasy, my students needed no more reward than that they wanted to get praise from me, they wanted to please their parents and myself, and they needed only the satisfaction of having done their best to motivate them. I wanted the pride they felt in their own work to be what motivated them every day. Alas, it was not to be... after three years of relying on motivating talks and positive affrimations, I began to eye the sticker charts, weekly coupons, BIG Bucks, and prize boxes. I've tried several tactics, and even with my EC fifth graders, sticker charts have some influence, with the promise of a weekly prize box if they have earned five by end of week. The problem is I'm spending money to fill that prize box because 5th graders are not satisfied with pencils and erasers anymore. Now I'm trying something new, in collaboration with the art teacher and the assistant principal. I wrote about it in an entry this week. I thought I had you on my alerts, but I don't, so now I'm putting you on, my friend. Thanks to Guido for reminding me of what a great journal you have. Bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/entries/2007/01/29/expectations/1601

Anonymous said...

The wonderful woman that I just worked with in 5th grade would give out squares of paper to those "caught doing good" during the day.  They put their names on this paper and put it in a box.  At the end of the week, she drew a name out of the box and they would get a choice of either something from the prize box, take a free homework pass or  be a special helper for a day.  This really works.  I know how good you are with the kids, and I know that you will only bring out the best in them!  You are one of the really good teachers that is dedicated to her work because it is a "calling" and not a "job". I love you, my friend! ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

Dear Shauneen,
there was a powerdul movie about a teacher about three years ago...
the teacher was sad about not having gotten tow subborn students to tow the line inot responsible adulthood..in the movie however he has areunion with the class he taught and he realises that the other students ahve really contributed to the community in outstanding ways! in this story the children who did not intervere did agood job worhty of praise! So I'm interested in the squares of paper and the surprise box too!
If you want the entire class to help each other in general terms you coudl reward them for a whole day or tow days in which they helped each other..just be a little flexible becasue some kids are rebelling! You just can't get them to do it sometimes!
love,nat