About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Thursday 15 February 2007

Gun at school

Today my son came home and told us that a boy in his class brought a gun to school and hid it in another boys' locker! He brought live ammunition as well and was planning to sell it to someone! This boy is only fourteen!

Of course, as any mother would, I flipped my lid! I was shocked, angry and worried all at once! This boy used to be my sons' best friend in prep school. I wasn't too keen on the friendship as there were signs of problems then already, but I gave advice and soon enough my son broke off the friendship.

The boy had stolen the gun from his fathers' gun safe. The police were called and he was taken to the station in the cop car as a scare tactic.I have no idea what the parents  reaction were, but I know the mom was always concerned about his poor behaviour.

I told a staff member at school and her first reaction was to ask what colour the child was! Yes racism is alive and well in South Africa (he is a WHITE child- gasp, shock, horrors!) All I can say is that I now fear for the safety of my children! Our schools are very slack here compared to overseas.The rural schools are very poor and some don't even have desks to sit at or paper to write on, and at these schools, gangsters are a problem. I believe most countries have this problem.I guess where there are parents who can't or won't care for their children, we will have delinquent (although I detest that name!)
I feel strongly that the welfare in our country does not intervene soon enough in problem families! I have had too many cases of abuse and phoned welfare to be told that their case loads are just too great to cope with! Who else can we turn to???

Sometimes I feel very helpless and limited to the classroom, when all I want to do is to intervene in the life of the child-where the problem is-at home! Sadly, I can't do this and the burden sometimes becomes too great to bear.PRAYING is the only thing I can resort to! It really works-many times I've prayed for some kind of intervention and God has graciously answered the prayer. Other times I just need to trust that He knows best. That's very hard to do sometimes!

My own class is making such progress (behaviour wise) that I have had a really good week.They are laughing and enjoying school and that makes me happy.Learning should be fun! I was spoilt for valentines day and the little love notes I get from my kiddies are treasured in a big box! Needless to say, after 16 years my box is rather full! My "cup" runneth over HEEHEE! I took great delight in showing my 26 year old niece (who was in my first class) a note she wrote to me.Her eyes welled up and so did mine!

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three teenagers were shot and killed in their own homes in London in recent weeks. Talk about gun culture :-(

Anonymous said...

so sad:( when will the kids learn not to bring weapons to school? have a good weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

Frightening news, yes! I hope the students gets the help he needs to prevent this from happening again. Yes the burden is often greater than we can bear, so prayer is a good way to deal with it. I believe in the power of prayer intervention. Wow, you have 16 yrs! I have only seven, working on me 8th. I didn't get many valentines... got three this year. One from a first grader and two from fifth graders. I taped them onto the wall so I can see them every day. I don't have valentine parties in my classes because I teach four different grade levels, and they usually stay in their homeroom classroom for the parties at end of day. No problem, I'm okay with that.. I know they care. I know by the way they walk into my classroom with eagerness and friendliness each and every day. Glad to hear that after 16years it's just as exciting and meaningful for you as the first three years were. Bea

Anonymous said...

how very scary. I would freak that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

so sorry shaueenie!
you did a good job ina very threatening position! Hopefully your school can run locker checks and the kis have to be kept in theri rooms for this. It can be very helpful if done routinely I've heard.
Shaueen, AOL would not let ne email you to thank you for your recent comment. Please email me wiht your newset email address. Great entry!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

So scary, Neenie!  I would have flipped my lid, just like you.  I don't think it's a case of schools being as slack as just not knowing.  How many schools here have had kids bringing weapons to school and just shooting and killing others? It's scary to have our kids so far from us, not knowing who is aware of other kids bringing in stuff like this. Thank goodness for the child who reported the incident! I cannot believe S is 26 already!  I remember when she was in your first class - that tiny little thing, who is now a wonderful mother!  Testimony to you being such a positive role model in her life!  I miss you, my friend.  Luvya ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

In spite of all that you have to do and your worries about the safety of your son's school, you were still able to find positive things to focus on about your class.  Your students' lives are so much better for having you as their teacher.  I love your philosophy, "Learning should be fun."--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/