About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Monday 19 March 2007

Rights and Responsibilities

I'm so tired of watching our once capable education system spiral into a  bottomless abyss! Bottomless because I cannot see any light further down the road (abyss).

We in South Africa mourned the death of little Sheldean Human aged 9 who was kidnapped and brutally murdered.A few weeks before, a 5 year old was shot in the head while sitting in her Moms' lap while on a fishing trip. These are just two of the cases of too many to mention!!! We are crying out for the death penalty ( I never used to believe it our right to take anothers' life, for doesn't the Bible say God says "..that vengeance is mine alone...." BUT, at our Bible study we got into this discussion and the Old Testament is clear that the death penalty was put into the law! Someone then said that that was the old testament and that Jesus replaced that law, but this is not true, if you study the Bible.... SOOO I have changed my mind!

Our prisons are overcrowded and the thought of these murderers getting parole later on sends shivers down my spine. I know certain states in the USA do have capital punishment and I wondered if these states see a decline in crime or not?

We have had a gun at school recently (I posted an entry about it) and now we have a Grade 10 DEALING in drugs and the headmaster MAY not expel him! He has been told by the education department that the child has a right to education!!! I agree- but not in that school (or any other for that matter! Maybe in jail or a youth detention centre!) What I see more and more in the classrooms are children who are taught (at home) that they have rights (which is TRUE!!!! )BUT they are NOT being taught that with every right comes a RESPONSIBILITY!!!! I have heard so many complaints from my teacher friends (especially High School) about the way parents over react or defend their children when they have been punished at school! I myself had an incident last week where a child in Gr 2 kicked a boy in my class on the knee so badly that it was swollen for two days and inflamed.The boy was given headmasters detention for a break (30 minutes!) and the Mom went balistic! As a result her son  behaves badly and unfortunately has a reputation as being naughty (is this not his own consequence?) Or his moms'? I believe STRONGLY in rights for children and that they have a voice and use it! I just think that its' the way or tone in which they do it that's important.

Is is just me, or do you see the same decline in discipline (self- that is!!) I really want to be more positive, and there are MANY MANY children who make teaching wonderful.There are MANY MANY children who make it a challenge (which is good too) But there are TOO many parents who coddle their children (to THEIR disadvantage!!!) and don't let them experience the consequences to their actions.

Enough venting now! :-))

On a positive note-yes there is one, short as it is!!

Am loving my class!!!!!!!!! Have such nice parents too.They are supportive and I often get little notes thanking me!!! So its not all doom and gloom-There are MANY MANY parents grateful for the love, time and effort teachers' (most of them) put into their teaching!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shaunee,
The problems with violence in SA sometimes reach the news media here, and it's a shame. Your country is still the most prosperous in the region. If govt would take its finger out and stop pretending problems aren't there, it would help. Anyway, hope some action is taken. Take care,
Guido

Anonymous said...

i agree with you i am a firm beleiver in the death penalty. here in Colorado we had a group of 3 kids maybe more. The girl who was 15 and her boyfriend killed her mom and had a friend come over and help stuff moms body in her car. oh it gets better they said nothing to anyone (adults) for 3 to 5 weeks. they had partys and acted like nothing was wrong. The police did get a phone call and they arrested the girl and her BF. Now they are trying to blame the mom for everything. the kicker is they won't get the death penalty because the are juveniles being tried as adults. that is so wrong if you ask me. have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

dear Shauneen
ummm
I don't understnad why the drug dealer is not charged by the police and taken to court? so sorry my friend
hang in there..i know you love the kids and "most" pernts
love,nat

Anonymous said...

My dearest friend

When I read this, it breaks my heart.  I can see how discipline has changed there. It was not so long ago that a little paddling was all the discipline that some children needed.  Now, if that happens, abuse is cried out - but what is left of the kids. They know that they can do whatever they like because it is their "right"! I am grateful that we are here, although our school system is not perfect. I do feel safer here, though, and feel that my kids are safer. We have a policeman assigned to every school who visits every so often and spends time with the kids. He presents a program to the 5th graders every year about drinking and drugs and the kids have to work through this thoroughly before they can graduate. It gives them more of an awareness of what they should and shouldn't be doing. Hang in there, my friend. Just remember, though, you can always all come out here!! Hee hee hee!  Lots of love, Caroline