About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Monday 23 April 2007

Love your neighbour

I 've been following the news reports(as I'm sure the rest of the world has) of the person behind the campus killer.I can't help feel sorrow for him.I don't excuse his actions-I DETEST violence,but some part of my heart feels sorrow for him.I know reports say he was a silent child, bullied for most of his school life and teased about his deep voice.I think other teachers might agree with me when I say that most of the general public don't really understand the impact bullying has on a child unless they themselves were bullied.I see daily how nasty children can be to others. I see the devastating results too.

Sadly this behaviour (bullying) is not limited to children alone. I see adult bullies all around me.It is often said a bully was once bullied himself and I have seen this cycle repeat itself at school. I think society has a lot to answer for.

Ask yourself-Have I spoken to anyone in a disrespectful manner?Then you are a bully.Have I taken advantage of another person?Bully.Have I thought myself better than someone else-bully.If you have in any way damaged the spirit of another in any way albeit "small" ,YOU ARE A BULLY!

I am a bully too.I lord it over my sons at home-shouting the odds sometimes in a disrespectful and undignified manner.I am ashamed sometimes at my actions.I bully my husband by playing on his emotions.(But he figured that one out long ago :-)I have ( in my school days) teased other people who were already being picked on.I am ashamed to say that I have contributed to this plague in society.Even gossip is a form of cursing another persons spirit!I'm guilty!

I think we need to remember the V-Tech killings because we ourselves contribute to situations like that.I am not saying the killer be relieved of all responsibility-not at all.I just want this world to be better and it starts with LOVE.Love your neighbour!!!My prayer is for all of society to speak out against any bullying.SPEAK OUT don't join in!Maybe if someone had bothered to stop the bullying this tragedy might have been prevented.

Be blessed and BE a blessing!!

Love u (neighbour :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree wiht you! bravo!
love and hugs,nat