About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Saturday 27 October 2007

Relocation update

Our plans to relocate to the UK are going along rapidly now. I have had a paper trail from h#ll to sort out but I'M DONE. I have our passports,police clearance certificates, vault copies of marriage and birth certificates, qualification certificates and only still await our visas. I have been for an interview with an employment agency and they have reassured me of finding work in the town we are moving to.

My husband will be working in Amersham, but we will be living in or around High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire county, South East England).The organising of this move has been a lot easier than I had imagined, BUT I had not bargained on the emotional side of things.I have four weeks left at the school where I have been teaching for 18 years! I feel rather emotional about leaving and I suppose a little insecure about starting my career all over again in a new country.Sometimes I wonder if I have the strength for this challenge, but I know it's something I have to do. While I love my country soo much and it really hurts to leave it, things are not going well in this country.The schools and hospitals are being mismanaged terribly and I don't think the rest of the world realises that the Madiba magic has done nothing for the plight of the poor in this country. So ALL races can attend school or go to any beach they want and vote too- that's the way it should be, BUT most of their lives have not changed AT ALL. They still live in squalor and with the rising cost of living and terrible crime rate, none of us see much in the way of transformation.In Cape Town the latest stats are that 50 people die PER DAY due to gang wars.Jo'burg is worse.....

sigh...sorry for ranting a bit...but it's so very frustrating to see a "new" Zimbabwe happening in my own country.I guess I am feeling emotional about this move!

The only thing that is a bit of a problem is that we have not sold our house yet.My niece has agreed to rent our house from us with the option to buy at a later stage, but we actually need that money to relocate as I don't really want to use my pension payout for that purpose, so... as you can see timing is the only problem at the moment.We don't have any friends or family near to where we will be moving to so the idea of arriving in a new country and not knowing where will put our heads down that night is just a tad daunting LOL I suppose it will be a B+B for a few days until we find a place to rent :-)

Thanks for all your positive vibes....have been "feeling" them in cyberspace :-) Keep 'em coming as I need them :-))

My husband laughs at me as each day when he gets home from work I tell him "I've given so and so this and that"....I feel like Santa HEHE.It's quite emotional doing "last things" sniff....last class,last prize-giving, last braai, last hug :-::::::::: GOSH !!!THINK I"M MENOPAUSAL LOLOL

Love ya JLand xxxxxxxxx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's no minor enterprise you're going for Shauneen. All strength for those last weeks. Keep us posted as you can.

Anonymous said...

Oh my friend - I feel your pain.  We have been through what you are going through, so I know where you're at.  Keep strong, because God WILL make a way - where there seems to be no way!  Look at us.  He has been with us every step of the way and, even though it has not been easy, we have gotten through everything. Yes, I hear what you are saying about the hospitals.  The one my mom just stayed in was in a shambles.  The doctors were great but the rest was not so much!  She was glad to get home! I wish I was there to help you through this time.  I KNOW you will come through stronger than every.

Love you lots, Carrie
xoxoxoxoxoxox
journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

I am going to pray for you, for your safe travels, for friends to be waiting for you when you get there... the ones you don't even know you have yet. Someone will be provided to you, to help you acclimate and adjust. Be strong, stay faithful. A year from now you will look back and say "How in the world did I ever do this without seeing where I was going." Keep us posted as often as you can. I'll be waiting to hear of how you are, and supporting you in spirit. Congratulations on your move, and the carrying out of all that needs to be done. Caroline knows... she's been there. Hear her words. Don't give up, no matter what. Never, never, never, never, never... give up! and that was said by a famous Brit, Churchill. God bless all the way. bea

Anonymous said...

Moving to a new country is always quite daunting, but it is also quite exciting and full of promise!  Praying for your safety and that things run as smoothly as possible for you.  It too bad you weren't moving to Kent, for you'd have a ready made friend waiting for you!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I add my prayers for you and your families safe passage to your new lives. It sounds as if you have made great progress in preparing for the move. Shauneen, your warm personality comes through very clearly in the words that you write in this journal, I have no doubt that your new neighbors will quickly come to appreciate having you join their lives. I certainly would be happy to have you as a neighbor.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

dear Shauneenie!
wowee! that's quite a  move! it was job motivated I take it!
all of the best wished for you!
love and hugs,natalie