About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Tuesday 22 April 2008

Cry My beloved Country

Well, the waiting is over.Our flight tickets have been confirmed....we fly on the 30th April....THAT's next WEDNESDAY!!!!! I'm still packing...I've still got to see my friends a few more times....I've got to cram in extra hours with my sister....I'M NOT READY!!

Sigh...BUT, I am....I'm sad for this beautiful land of mine....things are not going well.
I look to the future...I can't look back to what I'm leaving behind.I know the grass is not green on the "other" side...I'm not so naive...but the grass is greenER. And for that simple reason I must do what's best for my children.A future where there is no constant fear for safety, a future that includes a better education,  that provides the basic commodity...electricity!I wish I could be positive....I try...I pray...and yet...I flee...

I will make my next entry from our new country, the UK. I am so grateful that we may become part of a new country...a new life.Returning to our Irish roots LOL.Please keep us, espescially my two boys (15 and 10) in your prayers as we make this big change.My greatest concern is that they are happy and accepted at their school!

Thank you Jland for always encouraging! How amazing it is to share my sadness (and joy!) with complete strangers across this planet.How vast it seems at times, yet when we connect its a small world after all ...a small, small world

LOL ...bet you're singing it right now......UNTIL WE "MEET" AGAIN FRIENDS!

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My darling friend - how well I understand what you are going through!  We've been through it and are still going through it.  I know that feeling of the short time left - suddenly- and not having enough time to say goodbye to a lifetime of friendships. Saying goodbye to family is the worst, but relationships become sweeter.  I am just so grateful that you are going to be a shorter ocean away - hopefully close enough for a visit in the not too distant future.  I can't wait to introduce you to some of the J-landers that you've become a part of.  My friend, hold on and get ready for a wonderful ride. It's bitter-sweet, but I know that you will make the most of it. I pray for strength and courage for the days that lie ahead - for ALL of you!  I pray for peace and smoothness of passage - that everything works out the way that God intends for it to do. I love you! Carrie xox

Anonymous said...

HOping that your trip is uneventful and safe and that you are soon settled into your new home!  You and your family are in my prayers.
love,
marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your relocation.  A big daunting step, but exciting as well.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Well, Shauneen, there you go, the big step is nigh. I wish you strength at the parting, and strength at the arriving, and setting up in your new world. Keep us posted.

Guido

Anonymous said...

Dear Shauneen,
We have some lovely new young South Africans living next door but one and they are making the most of living and working here in the English Lakes.
They are very friendly to 'us old bods'.   lol!
I hope you settle comfortably in your new home and find wonderful opportunities in Britain.  
Good luck and God bless you all.
God Speed!
Jeanie xxxx

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, have a safe flight and from a London girl........... Welcome to the UK. I hope that you enjoy your stay here

hugs Jayne

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and your boys!
I willkeep you in my thoughts and prayers!

love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your new adventure.Wishing you all well in your new land and especially the boys.They will have exciting tales to regale to their new buddies.I think  that they will  fit in just fine.
Bon voyage.
connie

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your relocation.

Make it a great day!


Sharon

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Shauneenie. There Is nothing more daunting than change, but once you are all settled In to your new home you will be fine. Home Is where the heart Is. Love Pam xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pamal3/almost-40/

Anonymous said...

Special thoughts...
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I hope your packing is going well.  That is such a job!  Have a great flight, and hope you get settled in quickly and easily.
Lori

Anonymous said...

May God go with you and your family as you move to the UK. Of course, He will :D

A friend from America.