About Me

My photo
I am a wife to my soul mate and best friend, mother of two awesome sons and teacher of children with special needs.I am a South African permanently living in the UK

Friday 6 July 2007

Day at the beach

We are all on holiday at the moment YAY...two weeks of relaxing and spending quality time together!!!! We went on a fishing trip but came back sans fish....I did get some photos that I thought I'd share with you.I love lighthouses! This one is at Cape Receife (South Africa) and was built in 1851...with more buildings added on over time.

ps...for Guido :-)

Pretty Venus ear (shell of abalone)-from the phyllum mollusca

Meat of the abalone (in a bowl)

My son adopted a Hermit crab and named him Jeffery...(no crabs were

hurt in the taking of this photo :-)

That's my husband flying his kite (LOL...do they ever grow up :-)) Carrie...remember this kite ?LOL

The day was spoilt a bit by perlemoen (abalone)poachers.They are such a BRAZEN and ARROGANT bunch. A policeman rode onto the beach and waited on the side of the shore.We knew he was waiting for the poachers to appear and sure enough five men emerged like crabs from different areas of the surf. They were so rude and the language they used was awful.They had obviously left the abalone in the sea to avoid being caught.We spoke to the cop and he said they are fighting a losing battle...these poachers get millions in this illegal trade and they are doing an awful amount of damage to the ecosystem! The love of money truly is the root of all evil!

But despite that, we had a lovely day and that is what I love about holidays....we get more time to spend with those we love!

Beach boys...Travis(sensitive eyes!!)Nkosinathi (a friend) and Christopher

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the beach pics. In spite of your wintertime, Shauneen, you're still able to have a nice time in the surf. Pity about the abalone poachers.

Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures:) thank you for sharing i love lighthouses.
that is awful about the poachers they should throw away the key when they lock them up

Deb

Anonymous said...

great photos! Good closeup of the hermit crab. Loved the lighthouse photo! Looks like you all had fun. I thought it was winter there? Are your winters always that warm? bea

Anonymous said...

I agree! and you had agreat time it looks like! love you,nat

Anonymous said...

My friend - is that the SAME kite that dragged me face down along the ground! ROFL!  Marlowe and I still talk about it!  That was a wonderful day!   Looks like the weather is wonderful for a day at the beach. Missing your kids (and you) SOOO much!  Luvya, Carrie

Anonymous said...

What is an abalone?

Anonymous said...

Thanks on the pic of the uhh, alabone? Yeek! LoL

Anonymous said...

The abalone shell is just gorgeous, what a great photo. You make me want to visit your beaches.--Sheria